Under direction, to have charge of varied and difficult engineering work involving the supervision of professional engineers and others engaged in a variety of engineering activities, such as the planning and design of roads and bridges, special studies or services, and other public works projects.
- Supervises and participates in the preparation of survey designs and plans for projects such as roads, bridges and other public works;
- Assists in direction of a number of field survey crews in obtaining engineering data needed for design work;
- Directs the activities of a group of office engineering personnel in analyzing field data, preparing instruments and quantities of materials to be moved, and in preparing plans, profiles, maps and related drawings necessary for construction work;
- Makes or reviews stress analyses of structures such as bridges;
- Supervises the preparation of structural drawings;
- Prepares specifications and related documents used in advertising construction projects for bids;
- Provides technical information to officials of other governmental jurisdictions, other engineers, and the public;
- Works with utilities and land and water companies in matters of relocation and rights-of-way; directs legal assistance in the preparation of resolutions, agreements and other legal documents;
- Conducts special studies, such as the determination of future needs;
- Performs related work as required.
Training and experience equivalent to graduation from college with major work in civil engineering or a related field and five years of responsible experience in civil engineering, including experience in a capacity affording opportunity to demonstrate supervisory ability.
- The methods of making highway surveys and of establishing highway locations;
- Methods, materials and equipment used in highway and flood control construction;
- Principles and practices of structural engineering as applied to the design and construction of bridges and other structures;
- Federal and state design and construction standards;
- Principles of supervision and training.
- Plan, direct and supervise the work of others;
- Analyze engineering problems and work out effective solutions;
- Make accurate engineering computations;
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.